Unlike my 3 adult dogs, Vanilla Bean enjoys to play Tug-of-War with me and my nephew EJ. I guess the game really makes her feel good… and she loves it because we always let her win. We’re using a DIY tug toy, not those fancy ropes displayed in stores. I know my pet don’t mind the cost of any toy I give her as long as she’s happy playing with it…
As always, the 3 F’s (Fun, Fast, Free) and 3 R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) guide me to produce homemade dog toys for my energetic pooch. This simple project takes about 15 minutes to make, and it doesn’t cost me a dime since I’m using leftover fabrics. Here’s the eight simple steps to make it:
Vanilla Bean’s Tug Toy
Materials and equipment: 3 strips of fabric; measuring tape; rubber band; scissors
- Get 3 strips of strong cloth, each about 1 meter long and 3 inches wide. (Make sure that the material is washable and safe for your pet.)
- Put the strips together, measure 8 inches from one end, and tie with a rubber band to secure the 3 strips. From there, braid the fabric strips tightly.
- Braid until the length is about 12 inches.
- Bring the strips together from each end and then, braid as one.
- Braid up to 5 inches long.
- Tie a couple of knots tightly.
- Knot each individual strips.
- Measure about 4 inches for the fringes and then, trim off the excess.
P.S. — I refrain from putting a bell on this toy because I notice that Vanilla Bean is not into clanging sounds… she prefers squeaking noises…